|“||When you were a witchling, your father searched the lands for you. He never stopped loving your mother. Loving her. And loving you. So I killed him.
–The Blackbeak Matron to Manon - Empire of Storms
116 years before the events of Throne of Glass, Tristan met Lothian Blackbeak and they fell in love. The two conspired to end the feud between the Witch species and break the curse on the Witch Kingdom. However, when the Blackbeak Matron learned of their plans and Lothian's pregnancy, she killed her daughter after Manon Blackbeak's birth.
Unaware of what had happened to Lothian and his daughter, Tristan waited for their return. Eventually he was asked to have a child with another Crochan witch in order to pass on his bloodline, as he was the only living descendant of House Crochan. He did what was asked of him, though he did not love the witch in question, and their daughter was given the name Rhiannon, after the last Crochan Queen.
Years later Tristan came looking for his first daughter, and was killed by the Matron, leaving his daughters as the last descendants of the Crochan royal bloodline.
Empire of Storms
The Matron reveals to Manon what happened to her parents, telling her that Tristan's despair was delicious as she told him what she'd done to Lothian, and what she would make Manon into.
Tristan was a very loyal and devoted man, who spent most of his life looking for his daughter Manon. He loved Lothian Blackbeak very much.
Skills and abilities
- Immortality: Tristan was immortal as a result of his witch heritage.
- Magic: Tristan possessed inherent magical ability unique to Crochans, which could be used for a variety of purposes, such as glamours.
- Combat: As a Crochan witch Tristan was well trained in combat and was a proficient fighter.
- Flight: Tristan was capable of flight through riding his broom.
- Tristan is described as rare-born, implying that not many male Crochans exist.
- According to Glennis, his grandmother, all who knew Tristan loved him.