It is unknown exactly how old the Cadre is, or who the first member was. It was founded by Maeve at some point after the second Valg war, and over time grew to be feared and respected amongst the Fae of Wendlyn, its members gaining a reputation as some of the most powerful Fae in existence.
500 years ago, the Cadre were apparently ordered by Maeve to level a town that had become corrupt and full of crime.
Heir of Fire
After Aelin completes her training with Rowan and meets with Maeve, she compels the queen to release Rowan from the blood oath, and by extension from the Cadre itself.
Empire of Storms
Following a battle with Maeve's armada near Eyllwe, Maeve strips both Gavriel and Lorcan of their oaths; Gavriel for his split loyalty to his son Aedion Ashryver and Lorcan for acting outside her orders to do what he thought best for her.
Kingdom of Ash
A sadistic male named Cairn is sworn into the Cadre to replace the exiled members. He spends the next few months torturing a captive Aelin until she is rescued by Rowan, Lorcan, and Elide Lochan. Maeve kills Connall before they arrive in an attempt to sway Aelin to swear the blood oath. Fenrys breaks the blood oath on his own to try to help Aelin against Cairn; he only survives by swearing a new oath to Aelin. Rowan then kills Cairn.
Maeve is later killed by Aelin and her court, effectively freeing the remaining member of the Cadre, Vaughan.
- Rowan Whitethorn: Rowan joined centuries prior to Throne of Glass. After the death of his 'mate' Lyria, Rowan wandered aimlessly until he was found by Lorcan, leader of the band of warriors. Lorcan offered him a place in the group, and Rowan accepted, which led to him swearing the Blood Oath to Maeve. Maeve ultimately releases him with honor from the oath, and he joins Aelin's court.
- Lorcan Salvaterre: It is unknown when Lorcan swore the Blood Oath, however it is widely known that he is in love with Maeve and swore the oath to be close to her. Lorcan steals Athril's ring from Maeve and leaves Doranelle to obtain and destroy the Wyrdkeys to keep them out of Maeve's reach, due to his belief that they will destroy her. Fenrys and Gavriel are sent to kill him. When Maeve captures Aelin Galathynius, she severs the Blood Oath with dishonour and deals him a soul-wound.
- Gavriel: It is unknown when Gavriel swore the oath though he swore after taking to soldiering as he was the youngest of three brothers and would therefore inherit no land. Gavriel was expelled from the Cadre and severed from the Blood Oath with dishonour after failing to kill Lorcan.
- Fenrys: Fenrys swore the Blood Oath to protect his brother Connall, who was being used by Maeve as her favored bedroom partner. Fenrys took his place, and hated being under Maeve's control. When Aelin fled from Maeve he managed to break the Blood Oath through sheer will, but nearly died from it. Aelin saved his life by having him swear a new oath to her instead.
- Connall: Connall swore the Oath to Maeve thinking it would bring him glory, but was instead forced to serve as Maeve's slave. His twin brother Fenrys took his place. During Aelin's captivity Maeve uses him to torment a bound Fenrys, and later compels him to stab himself in the heart while Fenry watches, powerless.
- Vaughan: Not much is known about Vaughan except that he is the quietest of the cadre and never wastes time on words. His whereabouts are largely unknown for the majority of important events, but after the third Valg war ends he is released from his oath with Maeve's death. The other former cadre members discuss possibly finding him and offering him a place in Aelin's court.
- Cairn: Cairn was Maeve's sadistic Second, who replaced Rowan when he left. He is killed by Rowan during Aelin's rescue from Maeve's captivity.
- Art by on
- Fenrys was forced to remain in Maeve's service as punishment, since she knew he hated her and the Oath.
- In contrast, Lorcan was removed from service as a punishment, since she knew he loved her.