|“||Your beloved Athril, dearest friend of Brannon...when Athril fought you, you killed him.
Nothing is known about Athril's early life, other than that he met Brannon Galathynius and Maeve at some point and befriended them, eventually falling in love with Maeve.
Celaena repeatedly asks Mistward's Storykeeper, Emrys, for stories about Maeve. In the stories, Maeve is said to have helped Brannon and Athril recover the Wyrdkeys from Valg possession. Maeve later gifted the Wyrdkeys to Brannon for safe-keeping after the Valg killed Athril, an act that grieved Maeve greatly.
When Maeve has Rowan Whitethorn whipped to coerce Celaena into giving up the location of a Wyrdkey, Celaena displays her power and reveals to Maeve that she knows the truth of what happened. Maeve sought out the Wyrdkeys to wield them as a source of power and, rather than being an ally, pursued Brannon and Athril to take the keys from them. Maeve killed Athril when he fought back against her, and her shame and grief weakened her enough for Brannon to steal the keys and disappear.
Celaena, going as Aelin, is berated by Lorcan Salvaterre who reveals that Athril's ring served as protection from Valg possession. Aelin, having given it to Maeve in exchange for Rowan, realizes that the Fae queen didn't simply want it because it was an heirloom. Rowan trades Lorcan for the ring by giving him what Lorcan believes to be the third Wyrdkey. Aelin then uses the ring to help Dorian Havilliard break the Valg collar and escape the possession. Lorcan takes the ring afterward.
Chaol mentions Athril's ring to Yrene Towers when explaining the Valg to her. He tells Yrene that the ring granted Athril immunity from the Valg, but was lost to history until Aelin found it. They eventually piece together that Athril's ring was not made by Mala Fire-Bringer, but by the Goddess of Healing, Silba.
Nothing is known about Athril's personality. As a warrior and friend of Brannon Galathynius, it can be assumed that he was honorable and loyal.
Not much is known about Athril's appearance. As Fae, it is assumed that he had sharp, elongated canines, pointed ears, and was good-looking.
Skills and Abilities
- Fae Physiology: As Fae, Athril had enhanced senses of sight, smell, and hearing, as well as the ability to heal at a faster rate than humans. He also had enhanced reflexes and elongated canines.
- Secondary Animal Form: His secondary form is that of an owl.
- Magic: He was blessed by Silba, Goddess of Healing, presumably giving him healing magic. It is assumed he may also be proficient at the healing arts.
- Combat Skills: As a warrior Athril was likely skilled in the use of weapons and hand-to-hand combat.
- Heir of Fire (mentioned only)
- Queen of Shadows (mentioned only)
- Tower of Dawn (mentioned only)
- Kingdom of Ash (mentioned only)
- His sword, Goldryn, was taken and hidden with the ring by Brannon, until Aelin finds it and uses it in Heir of Fire.
- Goldryn was the sword Athril used to carve out The Lake Creature's eye.
- Ironically, his sword and ring were used to kill his beloved.