Asterion horses are a breed of horse within the Throne of Glass Universe. They are extremely valuable.
Asterion horses have slender snouts and high tails. They are very elegantly built, and their coats come in various colors.
Asterion horses appear to behave as an ordinary horse would. They can be trained to be ridden.
The tale of the creation of the Asterion horses purports that the Fae made them from the four winds - spirit from the north, strength from the south, speed from the east, and wisdom from the west. Asterions are believed to be the most ancient breed of horse in Erilea.
Asterion horses are regarded as valuable commodities for their endurance and beauty. Celaena Sardothien mentions that they are "worth their weight in gold". Because Asterion pedigrees are traced through the mares, females fetch higher prices than the stallions. As such, they are almost exclusively owned by the very wealthy.
Known Asterion Horses
- Kasida: An Asterion mare freed by Celaena Sardothien from Lord Berick's stables. Celaena keeps Kasida for herself, but later sells the horse to pay off Sam Cortland' s debt to Arobynn Hamel. Kasida's name meant drinker of the wind in the desert dialect.
- Hisli: Another mare rescued from Lord Berick by Ansel of Briarcliff.
- Chaol Westfall's Asterion stallion, gifted to him by Dorian Havilliard as a birthday present. The stallion was left in Rifthold when Chaol fled for his life, and was likely killed in the sack of Rifthold or eaten by the Ironteeth witches' wyverns.
- Asterion mares are more valuable than stallions, due to the fact that Asterion bloodlines are traced through the female lines.
- The horses are named for the region in which they were created: Asterion, a place also renowned for its weapons.